Friday 17 February 2012

Beaten by a 'Brompton'

Over the last couple of years since commuting into Brighton there have been a number of occasions where I have been overtaken by stronger cyclists, normally on decent race bikes, and even one or two instances when a mountain biker (with road tyres) has got the better of me. However, my commute into work this morning, involved a different level of embarrassment - being beaten by a 'Brompton'.

For those who do not know a 'Brompton' is one of the most popular brands of fold up bikes with small wheels. This particular model I saw this morning was one of the more decent lighter models with a full range of gears. I was riding my singlespeed bike so did not have the luxury of a full range of gears, although I must give the guy (rider) credit as he kept up with me for about 5km at speeds above 30-35km per hour.

My session this morning was an interval set as follows: 15 mins warm up and then 15 intervals of 2 mins (first 30secs - building up speed to a max RPM, 30secs at max RPM and 1min easy recovery) before repeating; finishing with a 15 mins cool down. The warm up was mostly in Z1-2, intervals Z2-4, and cool down in Z1. I passed the Brompton rider (just) between Shoreham to Brighton, expecting to lose him as I went hard on the intervals. Even though I pulled away a few times he was quickly on my back wheel, drafting within a few inches of me. Finally after the final interval I slowed to begin my cool down and he shot ahead. At first I thought I would draft behind him (not that there was much to draft behind - he was a young lean rider with a tiny bike) but I observed I was riding at above 30km per hour in zone 3, hardly a cool down! So as not to displease the Coach and to ensure I completed the session as instructed I let the 'Brompton Bomber' head into the distance - triumphant!

I wonder if I will meet him on the return leg!

1 comment:

  1. Great blog. Thanks for sharing. Really entertaining and interesting material.

    ReplyDelete